Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Happy New Year 2009!

So it's already 2009, which means that in September, Kelsie will be 2, so before I start to lose my memory of what Kelsie's birth story is, I need to etch it down permanently here.

I was due September 21st, 2007. We had Ohio State football tickets for September 8th, 2007. My OB was on call at Riverside that weekend, and I really, really, really wanted her to deliver Kelsie, so even though it was H-O-T that day, we decided to go ahead and go and just walk slowly to the stadium, and maybe I would get lucky and start contractions. Nope. Hot, steamy, it rained pretty hard for a spell and then was sunny. Very miserable.

So on Wednesday, September 12th, my normal day off and also my weekly OB appointment day, I got up and did a big, fat housecleaning, even vacuumed the basement up of cat hair. I was pooped but glad it was done, because I had no idea when Kelsie would decide to be born. I got in the shower around 11:30am for my 1pm appointment. When I got out of the shower and was drying off, i had a drop of water trickle down my leg, and I was not phased, oops missed a spot. Then it did it again! And I was like, hey, what a freakin minute, I just dried that off!! Then, it hit me. Um, yeah, I think my water just broke and I'm leaking! Holy Baby! This thing has to actually be born! OMG! So I stared at myself in the bathroom mirror for a second, and thought, what do I do? It's not like I'm gushing water all over the floor like a broken water main. So, I got dressed, and went on in to my appointment. I was afraid if I just called ahead, they would send me to the hospital, and I wasn't ready for that news. So I went in to the doctor's office and signed in and they made me wait, and wait. I didn't want to make a scene and freak everybody out that my water broke, so I just waited. I told the nurse, who was different than my regular nurse that I was used to that I *think* my water broke, and she wasn't shocked and anything. Basically the same routine, pee, get your weight, get your blood pressure and undress and wait for the doctor.
So, I'm like, ok, this must not be it then. Maybe I am just losing my mind.
So Dr. Beth comes in and I tell her nonchalantly what I already told the nurse, who didn't flinch when I told her, that *maybe* my water broke, but I'm ignorant to the whole birthin babies thing, so maybe not. So Dr. Beth said, well, let's take a look. And she says, "oh honey, you're ruptured." So, I'm laying there thinking, is that bad? And she felt around for a sec and took her gloves off and said, "You're going to have a baby!" WTF? No way! Did I sign up for this?

So she said, I'll call the hospital and tell them that you are coming. I told her that Doug was at work and I didn't want to go without him, and she was fine with that, and said, oh no problem. Go home and get packed up and make your way there after he gets home, but call him and tell him to leave now since he's an hour away. Okay doc. And she said that I'm the most calm she's ever seen a parent to be when her water has just broke. I told her that I didn't know how to act, so no biggie, right? She just laughed at me. She said I would start feeling contractions since my water was completely broke and spilled out all over the exam table. I was fine with that too, whatever. Can't change that. (I never felt a single contraction btw until I was at the hospital and they started ptosin).

To be continued..........